Here’s more fun in Rancho Mirage! Now through April, local bands are performing Saturdays at The River in Rancho Mirage. Produced by Jimi “Fitz” Fitzgerald, the 2017 Music Showcase will feature local bands from the Palm Springs Valley and throughout Southern California. Each concert will begin at 6:00 p.m. at The River’s amphitheater, and will highlight two of the dining/entertainment/retail complex’s newest eateries: Acqua California Bistro and The Fox & Fiddle, each of which is scheduled to open soon.
With Brightener and The Flusters—two of the hottest local bands currently playing—kicking off the series on January 21, both aforementioned restaurants offered local beer samples, and had wine, beer, and cocktails available for purchase. In addition, the Children’s Discovery Museum of the Desert offered the first of its uniquely programmed 2017 Drop Off and Dine Program for kids, whereby the small fries are invited to a pizza party featuring a musical instrument-making activity while their adults amuse themselves. The program is held in Space A-152 between Hats Unlimited and MAC Cosmetics, is limited to 20 children, and costs $30 for the first child and $20 for each additional. Proceeds go to the museum, and registration and information including a list of all the Drop Off and Dine dates can be found here: theriveratranchomirage.com/event/childrens-discovery-museum-desert-drop-off-dine-river-rancho-mirage-jan-20/
The bands appearing on the other nights of the showcase cover everything from rock and country to funk, jazz, and blues. “The River is committed to providing the best entertainment at the center for our guests’ enjoyment,” says Ungar Kung, principal at CL Asset Management, the owners’ representative of The River. “We’re excited to bring this range of music, and the quality of these bands, to Rancho Mirage. There’s much more to be announced and we’re confident that there will be something for everyone to enjoy.” So far, the announced acts are as follows:
- February 4 – Full Pocket
- February 25 – Rick Shelley
- March 4 – Lisa and the Gents
- March 18 – Pinch Me Band
- April 8 – Zen Robbi
The Children’s Discovery Museum’s Drop Off and Dine dates are as follows:
- February 11 – All About Valentines: While you’re dining with your sweetheart, your child will be learning Valentine’s Day traditions around the world and the history of chocolate.
- February 24 – Dates All Around: Take a date with someone you love, while we explore the date fruit and its significance in the Coachella Valley.
- March 11 – Celebrating Women: It’s Women’s History Month! Take your favorite woman out, and leave the kids with us while we learn about women in aviation and create and design our own airplanes.
- March 17 – St. Patty’s Day: What better way to celebrate that with a little luck? We’ll be planting clovers and learning about charms while you enjoy the charm of a kid-free dinner or movie.
For all Drop Off and Dine programs, children’s dinners and cookie decorating are included with registration. Pre-register and receive $5 off your total.
There are so many things I love about The River—AKA Rancho Mirage’s Main Street or Town Square. The Music Showcase and the Children’s Discovery Museum of the Desert’s Drop Off and Dine program are just two more! Let the music—and the kids—play!