By Leighton Ginn
The Rancho Mirage Speakers Series will kick off the 2020 season with the fastest woman on four wheels.
The trailblazing retired race car driver and popular spokesperson Danica Patrick comes to the Helene Galen Auditorium on Jan. 21 to talk about her success in a male-dominated sport, becoming a popular spokeswoman and her life after retirement.
Among her accomplishments behind the wheel are:
- First woman to win an open-wheel race, taking the 2008 Indy Japan 300
- First woman to lead laps at open-wheel racings premier event Indianapolis 500
- First woman to lead laps at the NASCAR’s premier event, the Daytona 500
- One of only 14 drivers to lead laps at both the Indy 500 and Daytona 500
- 2004 IndyCar Rookie of the Year
- 2004 Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year
- 2008 finished a career-best third at the Indianapolis 500
- Her three pole positions in the IndyCar series in 2005 tied Tomas Scheckter’s record for most pole positions in a rookie season
- Twice finished in the top-10 of the Drivers series, finishing sixth in 2008 and fifth in 2009
- First woman to win a pole position in a NASCAR Cup Series race with the fastest qualifying time at the 2013 Daytona 500
- IndyCar Most Popular Driver, 2005-10
- NASCAR Nationwide Series Most Popular Driver, 2012
Being a media sensation, Patrick found herself on the cover of numerous magazines and was featured in music videos for Jay Z, Maroon 5 and Miranda Lambert.
A strong role model
Patrick was voted Favorite Female Athlete at the Kids’ Choice Awards in 2008, 2012 and 2013. In 2018, she won the legends award at the 2018 Kids’ Choice Sports Awards.
Patrick was able to parlay her success on the track to become a spokesperson for numerous brands. Her partnership with GoDaddy led to her appearing in 13 Super Bowl commercials, which is hailed as the most by a celebrity in Super Bowl commercials.
When Patrick retired from racing in 2018, she turned her attention to her business ventures, — Somnium vineyard in Napa Valley, “Warrior by Danica Patrick” clothing line and her podcast “Pretty Intense.”
Those are among the topics that will be covered on Jan. 21. Tickets are still available.
Rancho Mirage Speaker Series Presents Danica Patrick
Jan. 21, 2020
Helene Galen Auditorium @ Annenberg Health Sciences Bldg.
39000 Bob Hope Drive
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
Phone: (800) 595-4849