Unusual Times Require Creative Ways to Treat Her
During the COVID-19 crisis, many people have had to look at the calendar to see what day of the week it is. Thus, if you’ve forgotten Mother’s Day is fast approaching, you don’t want to get stuck trying to find something to treat Mom. Even if your usual plans have to be put on hold, there are other great options available in Rancho Mirage. Let this guide you.
Special start to the day
Want to keep your status as Mom’s favorite? Order up breakfast in bed from Pastry Swan Bakery. Place your order in advance and on Sunday morning, fresh croissants, homemade blueberry-lemon jam, tea and honey will be delivered to the doorstep on a lovely wooden tray adorned with flowers from Flower Mart. Additionally, Mother’s Day cakes and a bouquet of floral-themed English shortbread cookies are available for purchase and pick up. 70-225 CA-111, (760) 202-1213.
Mother’s Day meals
After weeks of the stay-at-home mandate, you know Mom would welcome a lunch or dinner that’s not directly from the pantry or back of the freezer. Do it up right with something fantastic when you order from these venues.
- Si Bon Belgian Bistro: Select favorites from the regular take out menu or the special Mother’s Day menu that includes a variety of appetizers, entrees and desserts. Entrées include eggs Benedict with smoked salmon on waffles, Maine lobster omelet with fresh asparagus, filet of sole pan fried, and more. Orders of $100 or more receive a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine. Extended hours on Sunday, May 10: 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. 40101 Monterey Ave. Suite E5, (760) 837-0011.
- Shabu Shabu Zen: This Japanese family-owned restaurant offers 10% off all menu items, including wine and sake. Try the special Mother’s Day dessert: strawberry and matcha (green tea) tiramisu. Tokyo-style cheesecake, and Japanese-style coffee jelly is also available. Since the restaurant expects a high volume, call ahead to place your order for curbside pick up. 71680 Hwy 111 #F, (760) 779-5000.
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit: Does your mom love good barbeque? She can eat for free on Mother’s Day. Order online and use the code: I am a Mom. While those tasty ribs or chicken dishes will put you in her good graces, she’ll probably still remind you to wipe your mouth. Orders are available for delivery or take out. 42452 Bob Hope Dr. Suite 4, (760) 851-0955.
- Wally’s Desert Turtle: Enjoy an at-home dining experience with a $55 Mother’s Day 4-course prix fixe to-go menu. Choose beet gazpacho or red and yellow endive salad for the first course. The second course choices include a goat cheese and leek tart or mixed green salad. This is followed by an entrée of filet of Loch Duart Scottish salmon with mashed potatoes, navy beans, Florida rock shrimp, edamame and basil sauce with miso reduction or a rosemary free range natural half chicken, shiitake oyster mushrooms, braised carrots, and scalloped potatoes. Dessert is cinnamon carrot cake or lemon meringue tart. A homemade pastry basket with banana bread, chocolate croissant and sticky buns can be added on to any order for $10. There are a limited number of dinners available. The last order will be taken on Friday, May 8. Pick up is between 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. on Sunday, May 10. 71775 Highway 111, (760) 568-9321
Special treats for Mom
- Buy one regular or large scoop and get another one free at Ben & Jerrys. Available for take out on Mother’s Day, May 10, 12:30 – 6:30 p.m. 71800 Highway 111 Suite A124, (760) 779-1823.
- Order online from Brandini Toffee to ship sweet indulgences handcrafted with simple ingredients. All orders of $60 or more can be shipped to California addresses for free. Order $80 or more qualify for free shipping anywhere in the United States. 42250 Bob Hope Dr., (760) 200-1598.
- Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory offers 20% off truffles for Mother’s Day. Order online and use promo code: MOMSROCK. Choose gift baskets or a mix of popular chocolate treats and receive free 2nd Day shipping on orders over $100 when you use promo code: MOMLOVE. How ironic is it that Mother’s Day falls in the same week as Teacher Appreciation Week? This year, as many moms are pulling double duty by teaching at home, they deserve an apple. Order caramel apples or chocolate dipped strawberries available for pick-up and delivery options. Pick-up will take place on May 8, 9 or 10. Deliveries will be on May 9 and 10. Free delivery on orders over $60; other deliveries have a $10 charge. All orders need to be made by May 7 and can be paid for with cash or by Venmo @Diane-DelFiandra. 71 CA-111 A142, (760) 346-2929
- You can always “Say it with flowers” and Rancho Mirage Florist offers a large assortment of floral arrangements to choose from, including six designs specific for Mother’s Day. Note that orders are not available for pick up. Place orders for deliveries via the website or a phone call: (760) 324-9984.