I have known Scott Hines for years, and I can tell you firsthand, he loves living in Rancho Mirage! As a former United States Air Force major serving as an intelligence officer—including a stint at the Pentagon—he is a commanding figure and a great addition to the Rancho Mirage City Council, having won his seat in 2010. (He has been the city’s mayor, a rotating position within the city council, since May 2012.)
Over a quick bite at the newly opened Johnny Rockets on Route 111, I asked Mayor Hines to describe some of his favorite things to do in the Palm Springs Valley. This is what he tells me:
1. I love taking my children to the Children’s Discovery Museum in Rancho Mirage. We especially enjoy painting the fullsize car, playing silly dress up, and doing fun science experiments together. www.cdmod.org
2. Hiking the Bump-and-Grind trail behind Target on 111 gives me a chance to enjoy some peace and quiet, collect my thoughts, and take in the natural beauty of our area.
3. The weather is always so spectacular here. I love playing tennis in Whitewater Park in Rancho Mirage, where I can get some exercise while working on my tan! http://www.ranchomirageca.gov/residents/things_to_do/parks_and_trails.php
4. It’s fun to ride our bikes, and to just set off without any particular destination in mind, both off-road and on meandering sidewalks. We usually end up at The River for Ben and Jerry’s after earning the calories! www.theriveratranchomirage.com
5. Sometimes I like to get out of the Valley and head up Joshua Tree National Park with the kids or with friends. We lie out at night and look at the Milky Way. I also love photographing the natural beauty of this wonderful park. www.nps.gov/jotr
Look for Scott—towing his kids and friends along—out and about in the communities of the Greater Palm Springs Oasis. You never know where they’ll turn up next!